Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pete's Apizza finds tastiness for all


We have a friend in town from the west coast and she is dying for East coast style pizza, particularly pizza from New York. Cheap pizza, greasy pizza, late night after drunk jumbo slice kind of pizza. Not willing to stoop entirely to her level we went to Pete's Apizza in Columbia Heights for a pie.

Pete's has New Haven style pizza, and it's quality. There appears to be extensive discussions about exactly what New Haven style pizza is, as well as interest in their new location. More importantly than specific regional affiliation, you can get it by the slice so there are no disagreements. My husband loves the Sorbillo, a "A rectangular shaped pizza filled with Salumi, ricotta, mozzarella" and topped with tomato sauce. I go for the plain cheese and the chef's special. This time we also tried the antipasti, a compilation of four seasonal dishes, the highlight of which was the fantastic grilled vidalia onion and marinated peach salad. Yum.



I have a special fondness for this place because I went here when I was in labor and succeeded in eating enough calories to get me through the second and third days of labor. It was quite a feat, and Pete's will always have a special place in my heart.

Did I mention that during happy hour their beers are a steal, with micro brews like Lagunita's for $2.50 a pint (in a real glass glass, which is something I love about this place).

As for my friend, it wasn't New York. It was New Haven, and the pizza wasn't greasy or salty enough-- as she put it-- it was far too quality for what she was looking for. Sigh.

Family-friendly? It's pizza, so yes, and the place is mellow. There are high chairs, but no changing table but the bathroom is big and the floor is clean (I realize here that I am assuming other parents change their kids diapers on the floor with a pad, right?). And there are great salads so a balanced meal can be had.

No comments:

Post a Comment